another river smallmouth question…
Posted: 03 March 2011 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-03-06

K, so the river is going to be high, muddy, and COLD like 40 degrees or less. Since the water is going to be high, will the smallmouth bass still move up into the flooded brush like they would normally? I caught one last fall when the water was 45 in 2ft of muddy water so does that mean i will be able to do the same thing pre spawn?
Thanks for the imput guys

Posted: 04 March 2011 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2010-12-28

I dont know if itwill help but last year on the mississippi in the spring i caught alot of big smallmouths on a black red flk chigger craw…and a white sk tube.

Signature 

Turning Frogs into Toads

Posted: 04 March 2011 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Its possible they are moving to the pre-spawn, but I wouldn’t make that your only option. I would target a little deeper water with a slow bait. A 3” craw crawled along the bottom, or a 1/4oz lipless slow rolled would be good choices.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 04 March 2011 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  680
Joined  2009-01-14

For me when the water is that cold high and muddy. Start deep in the channel and work shallow,  I would be dragging tubes(gidzit’s), grubs(2”-4”) and maybe a jerk bait and or slow rolling spinner bait’s. Read the current and find eddy’s, creek mouths, back sides of islands and anything where the current looks like it is doing something different.

That’s what I do anyway’s maybe it will wor for ya!!

Signature 

KNUCK KNUCK KNUCK

Posted: 06 March 2011 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-03-06

We didnt catch anything, but there was a body found a mile upriver from where we were fishing! The police don’t know what happened but they believe he fell in some how and got hypothermia and drowned.  40 degree water is no joke

Posted: 06 March 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2009-03-16

I wear my auto inflate vest when I’m on the water alone and the temp drops below 55 degrees.

Posted: 07 March 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2011-02-28

Sure, start there and work your way back to deep water. They should be putting on the feedbag before the spawning period.

Signature