1 of 2
Jig Colors?
Posted: 09 March 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-07-15

Ok, after Fishing tournaments last year and loosing to people who fish Jigs I know
I need to learn to slow down and fish a Jig. I am fishing in Claytor Lake in Va. and
it is basically a deep slow moving river with mostly Smallies. What do you guys suggest for colors?

Posted: 09 March 2011 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

What is the water clarity of the river? As a starting point, I would throw a black/blue and a brown colored jig. The brown colored jig can be accented with whatever color you like or you can just have it be all brown. If the water is fairly clear then I would throw a green pumpkin colored jig.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 10 March 2011 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I like a PB&J, brown/black, or a GP colored jig in clearer to semi-stained. Stained to muddy I use black.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2011 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1917
Joined  2007-12-13

Gin Clear:

White

Stained water:

Watermelon w/red
PB&J
Green Pumpkin
Black and Blue
Green Pumpkin w/purple
Brown w/orange

Muddy water:

Black and Red
Black w/chart

Remember, jigs can be fished many ways, but flipping jigs into some of the nastiest and hard to reach (with other lures) cover can produce good numbers for you.

Signature 

“Nothing like the smell of BANG in the morning”

Posted: 10 March 2011 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4192
Joined  2011-02-28

Always remember what the jig is representing. A jig is used primarily to mimic a crawdad and smallies love crawdads, so if you can match the colors of the crawdads where you are fishing that’s a great starting point as far as colors. If there are no crawdads where you are fishing then lighter colors as the water clarity increases and darker colors as the water clarity decreases. white, chartreuse and black are the 3 basic colors to start from then adjust to what the bass want.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2011 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1917
Joined  2007-12-13

Jigs can mimic shad as well.  Swim them or pitch them.  White works well with this.

Signature 

“Nothing like the smell of BANG in the morning”

Posted: 10 March 2011 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1889
Joined  2009-02-05

For clear to stained water, I like some combination of green pumpkin and brown. For dirty water, a black or black and blue works for me.

Posted: 10 March 2011 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1832
Joined  2008-03-25

I also am making myself fish more jigs this year. I am keeping my color selection simple. Black, green pumpkin and brown. I have trailers in different colors and sizes that I will experiment with and see what works best.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 10 March 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I’m in the same boat as you, need to get some jig fish this year. I was always taught to use bright colors for walleye in muddy water, and this has transferred to my bass mind as well.. hard to get rid of. I was always taught white, and chart for muddy water… but all the bass guys say black. When I tie on black I have no confidence what so ever, and when I tie on chart or white I get a false confidence since I never catch anything.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 10 March 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  2009-07-07

BBK in the right conditions a jig black will not let you down. If you feel the need to have a little Chartreuse dip the jig trailer in Spike-it. Once you hook a couple bass on a black jig, I’m sure you will build your confidence in it. Also, Frkzila one of my favorite jigs for Small mouths is the Strike King Bisty Bug jig. You might want to check them out.

Signature 

Hope you catch your biggest bass ever on your next fishing trip.

Posted: 10 March 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2010-12-16

black/blue for stained water, green pumpkin for clear water,pb&j works good in both as for swim jigs i use blue gill colors if you have shad in your area use white

Posted: 10 March 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2010-12-16
BBK - 10 March 2011 12:00 PM

I’m in the same boat as you, need to get some jig fish this year. I was always taught to use bright colors for walleye in muddy water, and this has transferred to my bass mind as well.. hard to get rid of. I was always taught white, and chart for muddy water… but all the bass guys say black. When I tie on black I have no confidence what so ever, and when I tie on chart or white I get a false confidence since I never catch anything.

bbk you should try a shaky worm for walleyes i got several eyes while bass fishing this past year i no when season open im actually gonna target the eyes with shaky worms im thinking its gonna be a great way to get um after what i saw this past summer i caugt a 8 pounder last year on one

Posted: 10 March 2011 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

I’m sure it will work great, we use nightcrawlers exclusively during the summer and the eyes and saugers smash em.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 10 March 2011 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4192
Joined  2011-02-28

You might also want to try a tube instead of a jig in all the above colors

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2011 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

jigs are great….last winter i made the goal to fish a jig more and thats what i did, now i have a ton of confidence in them. almost all my midday fish come on a jig, and alot of my bed fish too.

just remember to KISS. (keep it simple, stupid)....twitches colors hit it right on the money.

try a bitsy bug just like bassfish* said, they are pretty good and not expensive at all. ive done best with the green craw color

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

I like greenpumpkin, watermelon, pb&j,  okie craw and summer craw in clear water.  For dirty water I like black/blue,  bruiser and black/purple.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

1 of 2

‹‹ Swim Baits      Cold Water in Illinois ››