1 of 2
What to do, what to do…
Posted: 02 July 2011 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2011-03-15

I’ve had an Ambassadeur 5500c for several years now, and stupidly, never put it to use. I’m not a fan of the bulky baitcasting reels, when it comes to bass fishing, but it’s such a nice reel. I got it out and oiled it down last night, and trying to figure out what to do with the thing.

What would you all use a reel like this for? I’m halfway thinking about buying a a 7’6 or so rod in a heavy action and using it as a catfish setup. The only downside to that is the fact that I don’t do a lot of catfishing. Perhaps I will get a 7’0 heavy action for flipping thick cover.

Decisions, decisions

Signature 

catch, release, catch again.

Posted: 02 July 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Heavier swimbaits, spinnerbaits, cranks(3/4 & up) would be what I’d suggest. That reel should handle the heavier weights easily & the slower gear ratio would be preferred for those baits as well, at least for me. I wouldn’t want to use that for flippin, due to the bulk, weight, & the lower gear ratio. I also can’t imagine any round reel being comfortable in the hand, even some of the smaller reels, let alone a 5500, constantly flippin baits. Low profile is a definite for flippin IMHO.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-06-28

It seems to me alot of these are a 5.3:1 or variation of ratio, therefore Id suggest getting a good crankbait rod.

Signature 

“Formley Known As Miller Time”

Posted: 02 July 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-15

You know, the gear ratio is something that I wasn’t too sure about. It isn’t printed on the reel, and the manual is long gone for it. Knowing that it is likely a 5.3:1 or so will likely keep me from flipping with it. It is actually fits my hand very well, and is quite comfortable to use, so comfort isn’t an issue for me. I have used that style of reel for long durations of time. I just don’t like bulkiness.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2011 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

I wasn’t necessarily saying they’re uncomfortable to use, but a bit awkward to use for flippin. When I flip, I flip with reel palmed & thumb over the spool, I can’t imagine any round reel being comfortable for that with the bar they have over top the spool & the more limited spool access. Casting & retrieving, I actually like the way my Morrum 3600SX feels in hand, just as good as my Revos & my 6600EXT also feels good, although rather large & wide in hand.

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2011 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4164
Joined  2011-02-28
I am KCL’s Username - 02 July 2011 03:46 PM

I wasn’t necessarily saying they’re uncomfortable to use, but a bit awkward to use for flippin. When I flip, I flip with reel palmed & thumb over the spool, I can’t imagine any round reel being comfortable for that with the bar they have over top the spool & the more limited spool access. Casting & retrieving, I actually like the way my Morrum 3600SX feels in hand, just as good as my Revos & my 6600EXT also feels good, although rather large & wide in hand.

Big time crankin power with that thing, deep diving cranks, big swimbaits, anything where you need power and not speed. put some heavy line on that brute.

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2011 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-15

Yeah, I understand what you were saying. I decided that I’m just going to sell this reel to a friend of mine; I just have no use for the thing. I believe I’m going to add another Revo to my arsenal, probably an STX.

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2011 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

yea, you’re on the right track. I have a garage full of those and the 6500’s for catfishing. But I’d sell it and buy something more suitable for bass fishing IMO.
Did anybody notice David Walker using a round reel to crank with for his win on Wheeler? That had to be treacherous.

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2011 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Catfishing

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 04 July 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-02-21

Is it heavy enough to use as an anchor?

(Just kiddin’)

Posted: 04 July 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1830
Joined  2008-03-26

throw it at boats that get to close to you

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 05 July 2011 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2011-05-11

I have 2 rod set ups with those reels on them.  I use them when I am salmon fishing in the rivers on the west coast.  They are set up with 10’6” river rods.  Awesome reel for that situation, also I have never had it let me down, very reliable reels.  They will also be used on big water boats like the great lakes or similar, for down rigging. If you can find a good use for it such as catfishing I think you will like the reel.

Signature 

FISH ON !!!

Posted: 05 July 2011 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27
stick um - 04 July 2011 05:53 PM

throw it at boats that get to close to you

lol, get those pleasure boaters out of your way.

Posted: 05 July 2011 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2011-04-13
JTL89 - 03 July 2011 12:05 AM

Yeah, I understand what you were saying. I decided that I’m just going to sell this reel to a friend of mine; I just have no use for the thing. I believe I’m going to add another Revo to my arsenal, probably an STX.

Good choice!  I love my Revo’s!

Signature 

http://www.louisabassclub.com

Posted: 05 July 2011 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-15
Cranker78 - 05 July 2011 06:40 PM

Yep, they’re definitely hard to beat for the price. In all honesty, the STX is probably a bit overboard, as far as the amount of drag pressure and what not, but what the heck.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2011 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2011-04-13
JTL89 - 05 July 2011 09:13 PM
Cranker78 - 05 July 2011 06:40 PM

Yep, they’re definitely hard to beat for the price. In all honesty, the STX is probably a bit overboard, as far as the amount of drag pressure and what not, but what the heck.

Actually, all of the Revo’s use the same drag system and are advertised to deliver 24 pounds of drag (though I doubt it’s that much, probably 18lb or so).  The STX is basically a combination of the S and the SX, incorporating a ‘hybrid’ braking system using the centrifugal brakes of the S and the magnetic brakes of the SX, yet retaining the infinity II spool design of the SX.  At any rate, they are all a great bang for the buck!

Signature 

http://www.louisabassclub.com

1 of 2