braid on a baitcaster
Posted: 26 January 2008 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

if i were to put braid on my pfleuger presidential what would you reccomend and is it harder to use than mono or flourocarbon.

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 27 January 2008 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  755
Joined  2007-08-20

I would recommend using a backer of mono first. Spool on some mono, and then tie the braid to it and spool it on as well. If you spool braid straight on the real first, it will slip. Braid-wise, I prefer Fireline. I don’t fish alot of heavy cover, so 6-8 lb test suits me fine. These guys and their 60 lb rope just blows my mind. I can understand bringing fish out of cover, but 60 lb for a 3 lb bass? Remember lighter line is more sensitive. But i guess it depends on the quality of rod you are using also. Fireline has a breaking-in period. It will sound like it is grinding on your guides. Once it is broke it, hang on.

Signature 

Perfect practice makes perfect

Posted: 05 February 2008 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-02-05

I haven’t had any problems just putting braid straight onto a baitcaster.  I choose to go with 30, or 50 lb. Power Pro.  it has the diameter of 10, and 8 lb mono.  I prefer it for soft plastics, and topwater.  It has almost no stretch at all.  Used it for the first time a year or so ago.  actually it wasn’t nearly as bad as a thought it would be.  No worse backlashes than you get with bad mono cast.

Posted: 05 February 2008 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2007-09-18

I have used power pro, its a good braid….but I still like Flouro better!!!

Posted: 06 February 2008 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

I would use a backer of mono then put your braid on choose what you are comfortable using in lb test.  I only use braid for frogs and flipping/pitching and I have no problems with 65 lb and our water is very clear and I have snatched 1/2 lb rockbass out from under pontoons.  Just use what you are confident in.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 07 February 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1895
Joined  2008-01-18

with using that high pound of test do you have any trouble with ripping the lips of the bass

Signature 

“Everybody wanna be big, everybody wanna be strong, everybody wanna be a bodybuilder or powerlifter, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but I DO!!!!” - Ronnie Coleman

Posted: 07 February 2008 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

No not at all the give in rod helps but it gets the fish moving your way so he has less time to wrap you up in what ever cover he was using.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 11 February 2008 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-02-02

I fish a lot of milfoil, so i usasually fish 55 lb. sufix on a seven foot Quantum rod. Just ask yourself what am I going to be fishing?    The baits i use are Yamamoto Kreatures with a pegged 1/2 wieght, I also flip Berkley Power Bait Beasts with Mustad Ultra Bite Hooks.

Signature 

Set it and bring that fish in that Triton!

Posted: 19 October 2011 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-10-16

I pitch with 50 lb braided but use fluro on my other setups. I’m going to experiment with fluro leaders on braided on all of my setups since I love making long casts with light tackle.

As soon as I get confident in my knots, my hooksets should result in more fish landed.

I’m using pro braid but I’m looking to switch. It doesn’t seem to be so smooth through the guides (unless there is a break in period like others mentioned with their choice of line)