Pull Trigger on Bass Boat
Posted: 11 January 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2011-10-12

Here’s my situation: 
have a 15’ aluminum fishing boat for the family to fish from.  love bass fishing and have joined the FLW/BFL to tournament fish.  Want to go in as a boater and have the opportunity to possibly purchase my first bass boat.  It’s a great starter boat and fits the criteria for the BFL.

1996 Ranger R70 Sport 17’3” single console bass boat with a 115hp outboard.  My problem I have is convincing myself to pull the trigger on it.  I have bills like the rest of America and the money comes from out of the blue from family.  This will be a cash deal too, no financing involved.  asking is $5000 but I know i can knock them down some.

Those of you who have purchased bass boats, how did you convince yourself to do it?

Signature 

Get the big ones…throw to the slop.

Posted: 11 January 2012 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

The choice was simple for me. I love to fish, and at first, I purchased my 20 footer so I could fish some of the bigger lakes Indiana had to offer. After I became more comfortable with the boat I moved on to bigger water like Ky Lake and Guntersville. Finally last year I began fishing FLW/TBF tournies locally. I think you wont regret the decision if you make the purchase. Just make sure everything is in sound working order and that the trailer is in good shape.
I still have a 16ft jon boat I fish from most of the time. IMO its hard to replace a smaller jon when fishing smaller lakes/rivers. But both boats have their advantages.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2012 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2386
Joined  2007-08-21

Fish a BFL as a Co Angler and your decision is easy to buy the boat.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2012 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-12-19

Sounds like a good deal. Just make sure the motor is in good condition and if there’s fiberglass over wood anywhere make sure it’s not damaged. check on where the boat was kept,{inside, outside good cover}.  if you can have the motor checked out at a marine dealer to know the real condition of the motor because this could be your biggest expense if something is wrong. also check the wheel bearings on the trailer and check the tires for dry rot. if it was taken good care of you have a deal just do these things and you won’t end up with another 5 thousand in expenses after you buy it and if you do find something wrong you can use that to lower the asking price. i have bought several used boats over the years and passed up several because of what i found wrong. Good luck

Tight Lines
Danny Freeman “Sluggo”

Signature 

Danny Freeman
Dameron, Maryland

Posted: 12 January 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1832
Joined  2008-03-25

I had a 16ft Alumacraft that I paid off and my current boat a 285 Stratos was a leftover 07 tha the dealer wanted to get rid of, I got it at a good price so I did it. I had to finance it but the payments didnt/dont put a strain on my family. If you will be able to buy the boat outright and can afford the gas and oil for it, do it. If there is somthing that doesnt feel right about it or if you feel like your going to regret it dont do it.

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 12 January 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-12

The boat comes from a dealership.  It was used as a trade on a new Triton bass boat.  I got the whole history of the boat, what issues there are (not many at all) and the “asking price”.  I think it would be a great starter/learning bass boat that I can use in some tournaments plus then have my 15’ family boat for smaller lakes and rivers.  Thanks for all the input and advice.  I think I will make it happen.  Now to set up the appointment, make the drive with the truck and $$$, and quit playing the “what if…” game with my mind.

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-12
Top10 - 12 January 2012 01:03 AM

Was it really that bad to fish as a co-angler in the BFL?  What kind of issues did you come across, if you don’t mind me asking?

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2012 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
kirkster - 12 January 2012 09:31 PM
Top10 - 12 January 2012 01:03 AM

Was it really that bad to fish as a co-angler in the BFL?  What kind of issues did you come across, if you don’t mind me asking?

Im not answering for Top10, I’ll let him give experiences because he has been a Co on bigger tournies more times then most of us here, but Id like to throw out a couple of thoughts/suggestions. First off, I think everybody needs to be a non-boater a few times in their life. Solely for the purpose of learning what its like to be the guy in the back. That way, if you do commit and become a boater, you will know how to properly treat your Co.
There are boaters out there that are considerate, will listen to your suggestions, and will be helpful in many ways. Unfortunately, those arent the guys you hear about. Some guys cant see past the tip of their flipping stick, and those are the ones you want to aviod. Handle them as you see fit. But, by the end of the day, you’ll be happy to get off their boat.
Its important to be a good Co-angler too. Its expensive hauling and maintaining a boat, be sure to compensate you boater the best you can and let them know you appreciate its use.
Go into the tourney with some knowledge and ideas, dont fish blind. Do your research and even prefish if you are able so you wont have to rely on your boaters fish to hold up.
Dont take every rod you own and all your tackle. Discuss beforehand what will be needed and try to limit yourself to less then 5 rods/ one med-large tackle bag/ life jacket/ and food/water.
Finally, learn how to net fish.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21

No, its actually a good experience in general, but as you get more under your belt its not so good overall. My problem with co-angling all the times…Lots of boaters call themselves “Pros” when many times the co has 10, 20 and even 30 years experience on them. I hate not being in control of my own destiny, I like to have my plan and see it through and make all my descisions, if i fail its on my, If I do well I have the feeling I search for. I dont think Im better than anyone else, just type A and feel i am limited in what I can accomplish when most homework or planning is thrown out the window before the boat even starts.

Most of the guys I have fished with are great guys and had fun talking to them, but rarely have done well in Tournaments because of thier lack of planning or unwillingness to think.

So, Overall I think a Co needs to be a Co for a short time, 1st you learn how you are treated so you know what you did and didnt like about boaters when you get a boat. When you think you have enough confidence and have what you think are winning ideas but cant implement them as a Co, Its time for a boat.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  2010-07-26

A word comes to mind from my old skeet shooting days.  “PULL”

Be like Nike and just do it.

Posted: 13 January 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1051
Joined  2009-04-29

I fish the BFL as a co angler, it;s not a bad experience, but to be able to put my own plan together rather than “go with the flow” of the boater would be a no brainer. buy the boat

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2009-03-16

Sounds like a good deal and its from a dealer…that is even better (I assume the went through it) go for it.  Make sure you get good batteries in the deal.  Make them change it if ther more than 2 years old. Work them over about a better trolling motor or fishfinder if that is what you want.  I found they are likely to make deals on stuff because they only lose the cost not the cost and profit. What the hey you might get it installed too.

Posted: 13 January 2012 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2098
Joined  2008-04-08

I don’t fish tourney’s anymore and when I did it was always as a co-angler. I have had a lot of great boaters and in 5 years of fishing only one incident comes to mind where I got pissed.  We were pitching lay-downs and I was killing ‘em - my boater didn’t even catch one fish.  We came to a great lay-down.  My first cast put another 2lber in the boat for me.  After that fish he turned the boat where I couldn’t cast to the cover.  He worked his way around the cover without me casting (he still didn’t catch a fish).  moved on down the bank to the next cover and started back-boating me right off the bat.  I politely asked him to turn the boat so I could fish - he ignored me.  I asked again with a little more emphasis - still ignored me.  I finally told him if he didn’t turn the boat he was going to have a 1/2oz lipless crank come buzzing by his right ear - he turned the boat.

Looking back I should have got a boat, but just retiring from the AF money was tight and Heather and I were trying to get out of debt - not add more.  I have since bought a small jon boat Heather and I love to fish out of - I’ll be adding a 6 or 7 hp motor to it this winter.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 13 January 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-12

Thanks for all the input and answers.  Sat down with the wife tonight and came up with a game plan (she rocks):

Go in as a Co-angler for the first year
Purchase the Ranger and learn it when I am not fishing the tournaments on my local lakes
Go in the second year as a boater
Maybe fish some small local tourneys w/the boat while getting used to it.

Showed some pics to the wife of the Ranger and she likes smile

Thanks again for the answers and honest input.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09

Can you post the pics?

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 13 January 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-21
kirkster - 13 January 2012 10:26 PM

Thanks for all the input and answers.  Sat down with the wife tonight and came up with a game plan (she rocks):

Go in as a Co-angler for the first year
Purchase the Ranger and learn it when I am not fishing the tournaments on my local lakes
Go in the second year as a boater
Maybe fish some small local tourneys w/the boat while getting used to it.

Showed some pics to the wife of the Ranger and she likes smile

Thanks again for the answers and honest input.

You will do ok, your doing the right thing by making it a family decision 1st, then a year as a Co is a good idea…Good luck and Post Pics when you get it.

Signature