Quantum kvd tour edition reel is the best reel for 299.00
Posted: 16 January 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-16

looking to get one really good reel .I like the look of the kvd tour reel ..I really like the flipping switch ..but does the flipping switch wreck the reel ?  I guess my question to kvd is if you had 300.00 to buy a new reel ....what reel would it be and why ?

Posted: 16 January 2012 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
lostinlocust - 16 January 2012 12:56 AM

looking to get one really good reel .I like the look of the kvd tour reel ..I really like the flipping switch ..but does the flipping switch wreck the reel ?  I guess my question to kvd is if you had 300.00 to buy a new reel ....what reel would it be and why ?

There isnt a flipping switch on the Tour KVD reel.
The reel itself is great. I have a few of them and have had no problems.
If I had $300 sitting around, first off, I would go on eBay and buy the KVD reel for under $200 and save myself some cash.
The Quantum Tour Edition reels are on clearence right now too. Was $259 new, can be bought now for about $140 new in package.
If you’re wanting something to crank with, then the Quantum EXO is the hot new item. I think they cost in the $250 range and so far I like mine.

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2012 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I’m going to go ahead and probably upset everyone in this forum.  I do not like any of the KVD edition quantum stuff at full price.  I cannot speak about the Tour edition reels, but my Tour edition crankbait rod and old style KVD reel (the blue KVD code) were top dollar at clearance pricing as far as I am concerned.  I would have not, in a million years, have paid $149 for that rod or $119.99 for that reel.  I picked up mine for $99.89 and $69.99 to be exact.  I love KVD to death, but Quantum is charging you a premium for that KVD nameplate IMO.  It’s good rod and reel no doubt, I like them.  I am not dissatisfied with my purchase, but remember I got mine at clearance pricing.  $300?  I’d rather have the Smoke even though I admittedly know nothing about the Tour edition reels.  Looks like a KVD’d smoke to me at a price premium.  I’d like to see someone who owns both the smoke and Tour chime in.  I’d also like to see how they stack up against similarly priced Diawas and Shimanos.

Posted: 16 January 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Well, to be honest, anyone who pays retail price for anything these days is really foolishly cheating themselves out of money. Any high ticket fishing item I buy I get 30-50% off. If I cant find it at a discount, then I do without til I can.
As far s the Smoke reels go, they are nice. Light, but not as smooth of the Tour Ed reels. The Smoke casts well but they take some time getting use to. The EXO, on the other hand, is both smooth and light. Ill end up with a few more of these.
I really cant compare to either Daiwa or Shimano. I havent fished either for years.

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  186
Joined  2011-03-02

I agree with Twitch on pricing - shop around.  Read reviews (here and google your item for other opinions) - ebay or online tackle stores will have a wider range of prices.

I’m sure some things do have a bit of a higher price tag if its endorsed by KVD

Signature 

Give a guy a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a guy to fish - and he forgets about eating!

Posted: 16 January 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Pure (Abu/Pflueger) & Q reels are usually pretty easy to find for 20-30% off retail without much shopping around, although Daiwa/Shimano you’re lucky to find even 10% off any non-clearance reel. And when you start getting into that price point, they all perform well, it’s just a matter of which you think looks or feels better. The only people I’ve seen bash high end reels are people that think ___ is the best reel maker out there & don’t like any other reels because it’s not exactly like the ___ reels they love.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10
twitch - 16 January 2012 06:57 AM

Well, to be honest, anyone who pays retail price for anything these days is really foolishly cheating themselves out of money. Any high ticket fishing item I buy I get 30-50% off. If I cant find it at a discount, then I do without til I can…

Agreed! Last year for my B-DAY, my wife bought me (2) Tour KVD Reels in 7:3:1 @ $180 each (MSRP $299). Yesterday she bought me a Tour KVD reel in 5:3:1 for $179.99 & (3) KVD Tour rods for $89.99 each (MSRP $149.99). As long as you do your research, you can find amzing deals on ebay! The KVD reels are top notch…

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 17 January 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2009-03-08
Marine - 17 January 2012 10:42 AM
twitch - 16 January 2012 06:57 AM

Well, to be honest, anyone who pays retail price for anything these days is really foolishly cheating themselves out of money. Any high ticket fishing item I buy I get 30-50% off. If I cant find it at a discount, then I do without til I can…

Agreed! Last year for my B-DAY, my wife bought me (2) Tour KVD Reels in 7:3:1 @ $180 each (MSRP $299). Yesterday she bought me a Tour KVD reel in 5:3:1 for $179.99 & (3) KVD Tour rods for $89.99 each (MSRP $149.99). As long as you do your research, you can find amzing deals on ebay! The KVD reels are top notch…

You are a lucky man.

Posted: 21 January 2012 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
RiverRat - 17 January 2012 09:26 PM

You are a lucky man.

100% AGREED!!! I just got a Tour Edition 100SPT in the mail today! Grew up having barely had any fishing gear & no one to take me bass fishing on the lakes. It is my wife’s mission to ensure that she spoils the crap out of me…so I’ve got some great rods & reels, more lures than I really need, & a boat to boot!!! Yep, I’m really a lucky man to have a wife that makes me buy the things I really want!!!

Signature 

Posted: 21 January 2012 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09
Marine - 21 January 2012 04:43 PM

You are a lucky man.

100% AGREED!!! I just got a Tour Edition 100SPT in the mail today! Grew up having barely had any fishing gear & no one to take me bass fishing on the lakes. It is my wife’s mission to ensure that she spoils the crap out of me…so I’ve got some great rods & reels, more lures than I really need, & a boat to boot!!! Yep, I’m really a lucky man to have a wife that makes me buy the things I really want!!!

Does she have a sister? LOL

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 21 January 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
TK - 21 January 2012 09:28 PM
Marine - 21 January 2012 04:43 PM

You are a lucky man.

Does she have a sister? LOL

She’s got (2)....& you don’t want them!!! LOL…. I swear, even though my wife is the oldest of (4)...I think she’s adopted, because the rest of her family is insane!!! lol

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  481
Joined  2012-01-17

Marine, you’re a lucky man.  Can she cook?  Oh heck that doesn’t matter, she’s definitely a keeper hook, line and sinker.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 22 January 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
USMCGeoff - 22 January 2012 10:52 AM

Marine, you’re a lucky man.  Can she cook?  Oh heck that doesn’t matter, she’s definitely a keeper hook, line and sinker.

As a matter of fact, she is an amazing cook. she has the skill set of a trained chef, pastry chef, & cake decorator! lol

Signature 

‹‹ Lines      Grand River/Kalamazoo River ››