Outstanding Panfish Chowder
Posted: 30 January 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-01-17

2 pounds Panfish fillets
Handfuls of cubed Potatoes (preferable Redskins; do not peel)
Handfuls of diced Onion
Handfuls of diced Celery
1# diced Bacon
1 can cream of shrimp soup
2 qts. Half&Half;
Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)

Put potatoes in pot with just enough water to cover.  Boil until tender.
Meanwhile, in a separate fry pan, fry Bacon until crisp; remove and add Onion and Celery to Bacon Grease
and fry.  Combine remaining ingredients and heat thoroughly.  Add water from boiled potatoes, more Half&Half;
or milk if you need more liquid.  Best enjoyed with a cold brewsky.

Sorry I can’t give you measurements on some of the stuff, but I cook by the seat of my pants. 

It is a perfect blend.  I have had hundreds of people ask me for this recipe after they have tasted it.  Works
especially good for a wild game dinner because no one usually makes soup.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 31 January 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
USMCGeoff - 30 January 2012 04:37 PM

2 pounds Panfish fillets
Handfuls of diced Onion
Handfuls of diced Celery
1# diced Bacon
2 qts. Half&Half;

Meanwhile, in a separate fry pan, fry Bacon until crisp; remove and add Onion and Celery to Bacon Grease
and fry.  Combine remaining ingredients and heat thoroughly.  Add water from boiled potatoes, more Half&Half;

Sorry I can’t give you measurements on some of the stuff, but I cook by the seat of my pants. 

It is a perfect blend.  I have had hundreds of people ask me for this recipe after they have tasted it.  Works

Mmmm… Sounds good.  Do you rub the fish in anything before tossing it in?  What species of panfish do you recommend?  Sunfish = panfish in my Midwestern vocabulary and the sunfish family ranges from black bass to bluegills ect to white bass.

BTW ever consider a hash variation of the recipe?  Check out smoked trout hash.  This dish sounds like it would make a good hash if cut back on the cream.  The fish is far more easily obtainable than trout.  Either way fresh rosemary would be dynamite.

Posted: 31 January 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-01-17
TorqueConverter - 31 January 2012 04:00 AM

2 pounds Panfish fillets
Handfuls of diced Onion
Handfuls of diced Celery
1# diced Bacon
2 qts. Half&Half;

Mmmm… Sounds good.  Do you rub the fish in anything before tossing it in?  What species of panfish do you recommend?  Sunfish = panfish in my Midwestern vocabulary and the sunfish family ranges from black bass to bluegills ect to white bass.

BTW ever consider a hash variation of the recipe?  Check out smoked trout hash.  This dish sounds like it would make a good hash if cut back on the cream.  The fish is far more easily obtainable than trout.  Either way fresh rosemary would be dynamite.

My personal preference is sunfish although any fish you like will probably work except for maybe salmon.
I have not tried a hash variation, but that sounds good too.  Rosemary would be a delectable addition.  I am forever trying new seasonings.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 31 January 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2094
Joined  2008-04-08

sounds good.

I posted a similar one two years ago - http://www.kevinvandam.com/forums/viewthread/4501/

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 31 January 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09

2 pounds Panfish fillets
Handfuls of diced Onion
Handfuls of diced Celery
1# diced Bacon
2 qts. Half&Half;

Flymantex - 31 January 2012 01:48 PM

sounds good.

I posted a similar one two years ago - http://www.kevinvandam.com/forums/viewthread/4501/

Time for a cook-off.  I need both of you to send me 1 gal. of your Chowder, then I will personally taste and declare the winner!!  I should have some cold ones, but if you guys want to you can send some of those along as well.

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 31 January 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4161
Joined  2011-02-28
TK - 31 January 2012 01:58 PM

2 pounds Panfish fillets
Handfuls of diced Onion
Handfuls of diced Celery
1# diced Bacon
2 qts. Half&Half;

Flymantex - 31 January 2012 01:48 PM

sounds good.

Time for a cook-off.  I need both of you to send me 1 gal. of your Chowder, then I will personally taste and declare the winner!!  I should have some cold ones, but if you guys want to you can send some of those along as well.

Let me know when you get the soup and the brews and i will be right over as you are warming it up and icing them down.

Signature