H20 Reelz?
Posted: 15 February 2012 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-01-31

Has anybody fished with H20 reels? They sell them on Academy Outdoors. They have one piece aluminum frames and all the regular jazz but only cost $50. The features look to be the same as reels costing 2 to 3 times as much.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2012 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

I hear they are really good for the money but I have never used one.  I’d rather go plastic frame and centrifugal cast control than aluminum frame and magnetic cast control.  It’s not just Acadamey, there are other reels out there based on the same architecture under different name brands that are cheap too.  BPS nitro tournament reel is aluminum framed externally adjustable centrifugal cast control (like quantum’s ACS) reel and it’s $60.  The Pfulger templar is 6 pin centrifugal reel for only $60.

The problems with these cheap reels are that the bearings are often really cheap and wear out quickly.  One way to check the bearings is to remove the spool and look at the spool bearings.  If the bearings have a C-clip holding the bearing shields in place; this is an indicator or a higher quality bearing than the bearings that have the bearing shields pressed into the bearing.

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4164
Joined  2011-02-28

usually you get what you pay for. i have never heard of the reel or know who makes them, but if this is a newer reel company coming out they might be discounting the price to build up clientele. if so then they may be diamonds in the rough for that price. if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. Only way to find out for sure is buy one and giver er a try. GL

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-07-14

i have 4 of the h20 xpress “mettle” reels. best reel i have in my arsenal. for $50 you cant beat it. i can cast light jigs a mile and the reels are super smooth. the 6 pin brake system is great. i have 3 brakes turned on and thats all i need for now. i recommend them to anyone. occasionally academy has them on sale for $25 a piece.