1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4
quantum smoke baitcaster vs kvd baitcaster
Posted: 27 February 2012 06:38 PM
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-02-26

hey guys, i have a quantum smoke baitcaster and wow! it a really good reel, its smooth and light and just a awesome reel. theres just a few things that just bug me about this reel! first off, ive had the smoke for about 2 months now, and im still backlashing. i dont no if its me or just my reel, because my friend has let me borrow a curado and i never backlashed! im really experienced in baitcasters and i was wondering how this reel was to the KVD baitcaster. my smoke is still in the return range, so i need answers quick! does the kvd baitcaster backlash a lot for an experienced person with a baitcaster? and on my smoke i forgot to mention that it does not cast to far either. how does the kvd cast? thanks!

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:24 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i thought you said it was a really good reel. doesn’t sound like it. do you have the centrifugal breaks adjusted correctly?

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:28 PM   [ # 2 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

It is a good reel other than the other two problems. Yes I do have them correctly. I have no idea why the reel keeps doing this.

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:38 PM   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I have no problems out of my Smokes. The KVD Tour is a great reel also, but $100 more. Id exchange the Smoke for another one if you cant get it dialed in.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:41 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i would consider constant backlashing and short casting distance a major concern. exchange it like twitch said, maybe you got a bad one. good luck

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:52 PM   [ # 5 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

Thanks a lot guys, il return it ASAP and I will see if it’s just that one reel. If its still not casting properly and still back lashing, how is it compared to th kvd reel? The smoke just not be up to my standards I guess if the next reel is like this one.

Posted: 27 February 2012 07:52 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Different casters require different settings. I found the Q I had to be really squirrelly, so I had the brakes set pretty high & the spool tension set tight, to where you have to wiggle the tip in order to get the lure to drop to get consistency on distance & minimize backlashes. My reels with dual brakes & centrifugal brakes are easier to use than the Q I had, just because you can click 2 centrifugal brakes & it was good to go in 95% of fishing situations, but the Q required a bit more attention, especially when I was learning how to use it.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 08:30 PM   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I have a 7.3:1 and a couple 5.3:1 KVD’s. They are very well built and perform great. I also have a couple 5.3 Smoke 150PPT’s, a 7.3 150HPT and a 6.6 150SPT…..........all do well. The 5.3’s I crank with and they sling a 5XD/6XD like they are supposed to.
The EXO reels are pretty sweet too. I have the 6.6 and use it for lipless cranks most of the time. Very impressed. Ill be ordering a few more of these to replace some revo’s and shimanos.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 08:47 PM   [ # 8 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10

I have (2) 7:3:1 & (1) 5:3:1 KVD reels, (2) 6:3:1 Tour Edition Reels, (1) Energy SS 7:3:1, & (1) Catalyst 6:3:1… I’ve yet to cast the (2) Tour Edition reels because I just recently got them, however, every other Quantum reel I own is smooth & casts like a dream. I’m even able to get good casting distance when I’ve got a Zoom Trick Worm rigged weightless & while using 17lbs test fluorocarbon line.

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 27 February 2012 09:48 PM   [ # 9 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

Cool and thanks guys, I’ll just have to see this weekend. If the smoke is still performing badly, it’s time for a kvd reel.

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:43 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 27 February 2012 06:38 PM

hey guys, i have a quantum smoke baitcaster and wow! it a really good reel, its smooth and light and just a awesome reel. theres just a few things that just bug me about this reel! first off, ive had the smoke for about 2 months now, and im still backlashing. i dont no if its me or just my reel, because my friend has let me borrow a curado and i never backlashed! im really experienced in baitcasters and i was wondering how this reel was to the KVD baitcaster. my smoke is still in the return range, so i need answers quick! does the kvd baitcaster backlash a lot for an experienced person with a baitcaster? and on my smoke i forgot to mention that it does not cast to far either. how does the kvd cast? thanks!

I don’t mean to be a buzzkill but the backlashing is an operator error.  ANY baitcaster from the cheapest of the cheap to the premium stuff should be able to cast without backlashing and without “thumbing the spool” other than to slowdown and bring to a halt the lure as it nears the water, unless there is a manufacturing defect.  To determine if you have a manufacturing defect in regards to backlashes, check to see that you can crank down your spool tension so that there is a lot of tension on the spool.  The spool tension knob could be missing or there could be some shims missing from the shim stack in the spool tension knob.  I bought a 1st gen energy years ago that never worked right until I learned more about reels and realized it was missing a few shims and unable to get proper spool tension.   

Step 1.  Turn OFF your secondary cast control be it magnetic or centrifugal.

Step 2.  Adjust the spool tension knob so that when the spool is free to spin as the lure on the end of your line will slowly fall to the ground and hit the ground WITHOUT the spool continuing to rotate and let out line.

Step 3.  If the spool still rotates a bit after the lure hits the ground, apply more spool tension until it does not. 

Step 4.  If you are unable to adjust the reel, return it.

Remember, anytime you change lures/weights you will have to adjust the spool tension for that lure.

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:50 PM   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I have found that with my Quantum reels that the best way to adjust them correctly is by turning the brakes to 0, adjust the cast control until the lure falls to the ground and you get a tiny backlash. Then turn your brakes back to the 2nd lowest one and it will not backlash whatsoever! (atleast it doesn’t for me). Remember though, this doesn’t apply for all reels just Quantums!

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:53 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14
LilJakeC - 27 February 2012 10:50 PM

I have found that with my Quantum reels that the best way to adjust them correctly is by turning the brakes to 0, adjust the cast control until the lure falls to the ground and you get a tiny backlash. Then turn your brakes back to the 2nd lowest one and it will not backlash whatsoever! (atleast it doesn’t for me). Remember though, this doesn’t apply for all reels just Quantums!

That trick works with just about any centrifugal cast control reel, even the cheap ones.  You can actually go a bit further and back off the tension a bit more and crank up a few more brakes.  You’ll get a noticeably longer casting distance.

Posted: 28 February 2012 05:38 PM   [ # 13 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

Ok so I i did te steps and at first, I was using a 3/8 ounce jig with a crawfish and it castes pretty good. But if I changed it to the third brake and made the bait drop faster, I would get more distance with less backlash. So I used a almost weightless frog and I did te same thing and I couldn’t cast without a backlash… I really don’t no because with the frog, I had to cast really lightly witch made a short cast and if I tried to put a little power into it, backlash! Same with different setting I can’t even cast without a backlash with weightless stuff. And the distance still was not far, and if I tried casting the jig far, backlash too. Is it me or the reel? Is the KVD less backlash and does it cast further?

Posted: 28 February 2012 05:58 PM   [ # 14 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10
Akalogianis - 27 February 2012 09:48 PM

Cool and thanks guys, I’ll just have to see this weekend. If the smoke is still performing badly, it’s time for a kvd reel.

Not sure what you level of expirence is with baitcasting reels, but don’t give up on the reel too quick. I’ve been using baitcasters for years & I STILL backlash from time to time. Everyone backlashes…including the professionals! Just keep working with you spool tension & brakes…you’ll get the feel for the reel & all should be well.

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 28 February 2012 07:39 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 28 February 2012 05:38 PM

Ok so I i did te steps and at first, I was using a 3/8 ounce jig with a crawfish and it castes pretty good. But if I changed it to the third brake and made the bait drop faster, I would get more distance with less backlash. So I used a almost weightless frog and I did te same thing and I couldn’t cast without a backlash… I really don’t no because with the frog, I had to cast really lightly witch made a short cast and if I tried to put a little power into it, backlash! Same with different setting I can’t even cast without a backlash with weightless stuff. And the distance still was not far, and if I tried casting the jig far, backlash too. Is it me or the reel? Is the KVD less backlash and does it cast further?

Do you know what spool tension is?  It is the knob on the right side of your reel (for a right hand retrieve reel) next to the handle.

You are getting there, but you are still doing it wrong.  Hey, it’s part of the learning process.  Remember the lure should fall to the ground without the spool backlashing.  If the lure falls to the ground and the spool pays out line AFTER the bait has stop falling, you will have a high probability of a backlash on your cast. 

I say turn off the secondary cast control (left side of the reel) as you are learning and just use the spool tension.  Refer back to my earlier post on how to properly set up the spool tension on your reel for your lure.  Remember, you will have to reset your spool tension if you change baits due to the change in weight of the baits.

Leave you secondary cast control alone for now, learn and then master, the basics of setting up the spool tension before you move on the the advanced stuff involving your secondary cast control.

If you have a problem with casting distance and backing off your spool tension allows you to cast further but also causes backlashes then you can go ahead and crank up the secondary cast control (left side of the reel) and see how that works for you.  If you still have problems then apply more spool tension.  Remember, nothing cast really light weight baits far like spinning tackle.  You shouldn’t be trying to cast really light weight baits with a baitcaster.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4