< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
quantum smoke baitcaster vs kvd baitcaster
Posted: 29 February 2012 11:28 PM   [ # 16 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2011-10-13

Completely out of the same price range, but I have a Quantum Code as a backup baitcast reel and when I first bought it I thought it sucked for casting and distance.  It came as a combo on a 6’10” MH quantum rod (which is great) and it just wasn’t doing well at all.  Other users on some tackle sites also complained about it’s performance.  I put the reel on a 6’6"M Moderate action rod and it became a whole new reel.  I adjusted the brakes and the spool tension in tiny increments and it will throw a 1/2oz red eye shad quite the distance now.  It also works great for throwing spinnerbaits and backlashing is a thing of the past with this reel (unless operator error).  I also took it apart and greased and oiled the whole reel and that also helped the performance. 

I now have a series of BPS Pro Qualifiers and I couldn’t be happier with their performances.  I will keep the Quantum Code as a backup now that it sits on the right rod and has been tweaked enough.

Just keep trying different things, eventually it will work out just right.

Signature 

Get the big ones…throw to the slop.

Posted: 01 March 2012 04:55 AM   [ # 17 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i generally don’t throw anything less than 3/8 oz on a baitcaster. if it is 1/4 oz or less i use spinning tackle, just easier. weightless frogs and other weightless plastics i throw on spinning tackle. if i use a weighted hook, then i can use on a baitcaster. it works for me.

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2012 07:50 AM   [ # 18 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2009-03-16

You really have to think about line size and type too….I went to braid quickly after I started using a baitcaster to help with distance and backlash. (never use the thumb method to get a backlash out with braid) A florocarbon that is real stiff will not help the problem if you use it with a light bait. Like CincySid said there is a time and place for a spinning setup. Also make a long cast (large lure)and pull off another 25ft of line..take a pc of electrical tape and put it on top of the line (wrap around the spool) this will make it so that the backlash can only go so deep that way you can spend more time casting rather than picking out a backlash.  I still do this on my topwater reel that is loaded with mono.  I tend to throw a small skitterpop that reqires I only use a the centrifical brake on the lowest setting.  (hard to walk the dog with spinning tackel…a least for me it is)

Posted: 01 March 2012 06:50 PM   [ # 19 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-02-26

I’m ganna give my smoke another week with the new brakes that you told me to do. I’m usually good at learning fast and if I don’t like it I’m just going to get an exo spinning reel and keep it simple. I hope it all works out because I’m ail of spinning reels and overall I like baitcasters. And is braid a big deal on a baitcaster? I was thinking about getting the power pro spectra braid and doing what combsdale said about the tape and if I try braid, what lb test should I get and why? And I’d there’s better braid to put on a baitcaster other than the power pro let me no

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:46 PM   [ # 20 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2009-03-16

without question 30# braid is the best for a baitcaster…at least for me.  Smaller will work but it digs in too easy.  I think most guys agree with me on that.  The sensitivity is unmatched and you can boat swing a 5 pounder.  You’ll find that if you get them skipping across the surface like a boat on plane and swing them in youll almost never lose one.  Power pro is great….If you like it try Suffix 832 but start with the power pro.

Posted: 02 March 2012 04:09 AM   [ # 21 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 01 March 2012 06:50 PM

I’m ganna give my smoke another week with the new brakes that you told me to do. I’m usually good at learning fast and if I don’t like it I’m just going to get an exo spinning reel and keep it simple. I hope it all works out because I’m ail of spinning reels and overall I like baitcasters. And is braid a big deal on a baitcaster? I was thinking about getting the power pro spectra braid and doing what combsdale said about the tape and if I try braid, what lb test should I get and why? And I’d there’s better braid to put on a baitcaster other than the power pro let me no

I’m going go ahead and recommend you do not spool your reel with braid when trying to learn how to use a baitcaster.  The small diameter and limp zero memory nature of the line makes picking out backlashes next to impossible with the stuff.  The tape trick also works with other types of lines as well, like nylon mono.  I’d recommend learning on Berkley XL armor coated.

Here is a video on how to setup a baitcasting reel if you are still having troubles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCXdzRak5Y

Posted: 02 March 2012 07:29 AM   [ # 22 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
Akalogianis - 01 March 2012 06:50 PM

Don’t put less than 30 lb braid on, lighter braid has a tendency to dig in on itself and snag, then you start snapping off lures. lighter braid works well on spinning tackle anyway. i generally use 40 lb and 50 lb on my baitcasters. Go with Power Pro or Stren Sonic Braid. I like both.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2012 07:54 PM   [ # 23 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

Ok so I just found out that the spool tension had some things wrong with it as the guy told me in one of these posts do I returned it. I decided not to get another baitcaster so I got the quantum exo spinning reel in a 30 size. It’s a really great reel but I have no idea what happened! It’s sort of like the baitcaster sucked me into them! Wen I went out to fish today, it was really boring when I had a spinning reel. I love fishing and now I’m deciding to return it because of it. It’s probably the weirdest thing that happened to me while fishing haha. But what baitcaster should I get? I’m thinking about getting another smoke or a KVD. Which one?

Posted: 03 March 2012 11:41 PM   [ # 24 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10

I’ve got (3) KVD’s & I love them! IMO, if those reels are good enough for KVD to use on tour, are good enough to use (& win) in the Bassmaster Classic(s)...then they are good enough for anyone!

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 03 March 2012 11:51 PM   [ # 25 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 03 March 2012 07:54 PM

Ok so I just found out that the spool tension had some things wrong with it as the guy told me in one of these posts do I returned it. I decided not to get another baitcaster so I got the quantum exo spinning reel in a 30 size. It’s a really great reel but I have no idea what happened! It’s sort of like the baitcaster sucked me into them! Wen I went out to fish today, it was really boring when I had a spinning reel. I love fishing and now I’m deciding to return it because of it. It’s probably the weirdest thing that happened to me while fishing haha. But what baitcaster should I get? I’m thinking about getting another smoke or a KVD. Which one?

I’d recommend starting cheap when it comes to baitcasters.  It’s like your first car.  Get something cheap, simple and disposable.  I recommend the low and mid range BPS stuff as well as pfluger.  The pfluger templar is a $60 reel with 6 pin centrifugal brakes and it is very good for the money.  You might want to look into the BPS enigma as it has some fancy blacklash proof casting system on it aimed at people who are new to baitcasters.  I prefer to buy my reels at a store so I can open the box and check the spool tension ect.

Don’t underestimate spinning tackle.  It’s a bit of a bass fishing myth that spinning tackle is only good for light weight lures and can not be cast as accurately as baitcasting tackle.  I can control the line coming off a spinning reel as well as a baitcaster and make accurate target casts.  I can pitch with spinning tackle too.  When paired up with braid, spinning tackle can do everything a baitcaster can do becuase line twist and line memory are non existant with braid.  Baitcasters are preferred for a lot of presentations, but a spinning reel with braid will still get the job done.

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:33 AM   [ # 26 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

I have used a baitcaster before, I am not looking for a 60-100 dollar baitcaster, I’m looking for a top notch. This isn’t the first time I’ve had or am going to get a baitcaster, I’m just asking about a KVD tour to a smoke, money isn’t a problem for me, so let me no what u guys think.

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:36 AM   [ # 27 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

Hey marine, you no any place where I can get a KVD reel or smoke for cheap?

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:40 AM   [ # 28 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10
Akalogianis - 04 March 2012 12:36 AM

Hey marine, you no any place where I can get a KVD reel or smoke for cheap?

Ebay brother…that’s where I’ve gotten all of mine. Just take your time & shop around…you’ll be suprised of how many GREAT deals you can get on there!

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:43 AM   [ # 29 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

Can’t you get scammed and stuff like that?

Posted: 04 March 2012 07:25 AM   [ # 30 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 04 March 2012 12:33 AM

I have used a baitcaster before, I am not looking for a 60-100 dollar baitcaster, I’m looking for a top notch. This isn’t the first time I’ve had or am going to get a baitcaster, I’m just asking about a KVD tour to a smoke, money isn’t a problem for me, so let me no what u guys think.

I take it you are the same guy that had the issue with backlashes on your reel?  Forgive me if I interpret you as a new-to-baitcasters angler.  Was the smoke one of your first baitcasters?  Buying premium gets you a long lasting reel.  I recommend a low price reel for beginners simply because they may not like baitcasters and end up spending big bucks on a paper weight.  If you are the buy once and buy right kinda guy then Shimano is your brand.

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4