< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4
quantum smoke baitcaster vs kvd baitcaster
Posted: 04 March 2012 07:32 AM   [ # 31 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

lots of guys on here like the Abu Garcia Revo Series. if it was me and money wasn’t an issue, i would either get the Revo STX or the Premier. i can’t remember anyone saying anything bad on this site about those reels.

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2012 11:57 AM   [ # 32 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-02-26
I take it you are the same guy that had the issue with backlashes on your reel?  Forgive me if I interpret you as a new-to-baitcasters angler.  Was the smoke one of your first baitcasters?  Buying premium gets you a long lasting reel.  I recommend a low price reel for beginners simply because they may not like baitcasters and end up spending big bucks on a paper weight.  If you are the buy once and buy right kinda guy then Shimano is your brand.             

The backlashes were not my fault. There was some problems with the spool tension nob. Even the guy at dicks sporting goods said so. I have also had a few baitcasters before the smoke. I have also had shimano reels like curado and citca, but I love quantum reels way more. I’m probably goin to order the KVD reel online today.

Posted: 04 March 2012 01:26 PM   [ # 33 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10
Akalogianis - 04 March 2012 12:43 AM

Can’t you get scammed and stuff like that?

You can get scammed anywhere, however, ebay backs up all purchases made directly through them. If a seller want’s you to go outside of ebay to make the deal…don’t do it. Check the seller’s rating. The rating is given by every person who has bought from that individual. Just fishing equipment alone, I’ve bought (3) KVD Rods, (2) Tour edition Rods, (1) Quantum PT Superlite rod, (3) KVD Tour reels, (2) Tour Edition reels, (1) Energy SS reel, & (1) Quantum Catalyst PT…ALL FROM EBAY…

Your choice, but Ebay has saved me A LOT OF $$$.

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 05 March 2012 12:09 AM   [ # 34 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 04 March 2012 11:57 AM

I take it you are the same guy that had the issue with backlashes on your reel?  Forgive me if I interpret you as a new-to-baitcasters angler.  Was the smoke one of your first baitcasters?  Buying premium gets you a long lasting reel.  I recommend a low price reel for beginners simply because they may not like baitcasters and end up spending big bucks on a paper weight.  If you are the buy once and buy right kinda guy then Shimano is your brand.

The backlashes were not my fault. There was some problems with the spool tension nob. Even the guy at dicks sporting goods said so. I have also had a few baitcasters before the smoke. I have also had shimano reels like curado and citca, but I love quantum reels way more. I’m probably goin to order the KVD reel online today.

Go for it.  Get the tour reel and not the cheap KVD reel.  The cheap one is just a rebadged, albeit nicer, code.

Posted: 05 March 2012 12:46 PM   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

eBay is the way to find new gear at the best prices

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2012 03:45 PM   [ # 36 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
twitch - 05 March 2012 12:46 PM

eBay is the way to find new gear at the best prices

x2

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2012 06:25 PM   [ # 37 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

ok so i am going to get the kvd reel, whats a good rod for around 100 dollars to go with a kvd tour? any rod exept the veritas because i dont like those.

Posted: 05 March 2012 06:48 PM   [ # 38 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Akalogianis - 05 March 2012 06:25 PM

ok so i am going to get the kvd reel, whats a good rod for around 100 dollars to go with a kvd tour? any rod exept the veritas because i dont like those.

look on eBay for a seller by the name of Simmons Sporting Goods, he carries KVD rods for $89.99 + $18.99 shipping & handling. Now, this was last month when I got mine. I bought (3) KVD rods from him & he combined the shipping & handling charges for all (3) rods. The dude packed him right & is a striaght shooter. As far as a specific type rod…that’s according to what presentation(s) you’ll be using it for.

Additionally, you can find quantum Tour Edition rods on eBay for a really good price as well.

Another great rod that I’ve used is BPS Extreme. I’ve owned (2) for 7 years & they are amazing!

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2012 07:57 PM   [ # 39 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-26

ok thanks marine, what about line? whats a good braid line that will cast just as far as flourocarbon? if theres isnt any, whats a good flourocarbon or mono line?

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:30 PM   [ # 40 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Power Pro is probably one of the best name brand braids out there, and I’ve found Stren Sonic to be practically a PP clone, so it’s pretty good as well. As far as casting, I can throw braid way farther than fluoro, which I find to be the least castable of the 3 main type of lines due to it’s stiffness & memory, which at it’s best handles about as well as some of the lesser handling monos I’ve used. I’ve read people that complain about the castability of braid, but I think they just don’t like the occasional snap back that can happen from time to time due to line dig in or backlash, not in actual casting distance. I just recently put some 30lb discontinued Cabela’s braid(AKA not that great of a braid & not very round) on my TP1SH & it was pretty nuts how far I could throw a 1/4oz plug. If you’re looking for the smoothest casting line out there, Trilene XL is tough to beat. I spooled up the TP1S I just got in the mail today with some Sufix Deep Cranking & didn’t quite have enough on the spool to fill it as full as I wanted, but I played around with it getting backlashes until I got a knot I couldn’t get out after a decent cast & turned it into backing for XL. Same settings I went back out & the XL casted farther with zero backlash issues on an overfilled spool. XL has a rep for being weak, but I think that’s largely due to having a low diameter for the lb test rating, which is easily remedied by going up a size or two. Example, XT has a rep for being super tough, but diameterwise, 10lb XT is the equivalent to XL diameter between their 14-17 lb test line.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2012 11:30 PM   [ # 41 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10

Go with what KCL says…he’s right on!

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:21 AM   [ # 42 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

Power Pro or Stren Sonic braid, i like both. Mono go with Silver Thread Excalibur, it’s actually a copolymer or, PLine CX Premium is an excellent line, super thin and super strong or Trilene Big Game. Trilene big game never breaks and has less stretch than Trilene XL because it is bigger diameter also

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2012 01:07 AM   [ # 43 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

100% fluorocarbon line is one of the world’s worst casting lines.  Maybe super abrasion resistant nylon monos handle worse, but not by much.  You’d be hard pressed to find a braid that casts worse than 100% fluro as braid is one of the worlds best long casting lines.

Don’t forget about trilene XL armor coated.  It’s stretchy, but it also has a fluro like break strength to diameter ratio unheard of in nylon monos and is easily one of the easiest casting nylon monos is existence.  When it comes to braid, 8 strands are hot.  Look into powerpro super 8 and other 8 strand braids.

Posted: 07 March 2012 07:27 AM   [ # 44 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i may never spool up any reel with fluoro, i have fluoro leaders tied on right now. i need to make long casts to cover water from the bank. that means lower test mono and braid. we will see how the leaders do. i have most my line problems solved now. I do very little finesse fishing so unless the water is gin clear, (most of my fishing is with fast moving baits), i don’t see the need for the expense and hassle fluoro creates.

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2012 08:39 AM   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2386
Joined  2007-08-21

Your not just going to find 1 setting that will work on every bait. I have to adjust mine when changing baits. I personally think its in the adjustment, not casting very far sounds like 1 adjustment is too heavy while the other is too light. Everything will play a factor, line that has memory, line that is heavy, whipping a bait on a cast. I have had reels that took longer to adjust to, but never had one that couldnt be adjusted out. I have also never had a reel that will work on every bait unless I go all the way back to Zebco 33.

Signature 

< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4