Baitcaster
Posted: 28 February 2012 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-03-18

I am thinking about buying another baitcaster. This time I was thinking of going with Abu Garcia Black Maxx. One of the reasons is because it isn’t that much money, and I’ve actually heard good things about it. Any Suggestions? And also I am fairly new to baitcasting, and I dont really understand the gear ratios, and what they mean or are used for. Anyone that knows more then me (which is many) could you please fill me in on this?

Posted: 29 February 2012 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

I dont have any experience with the Black Maxx, but I can help you with gear ratios.
These numbers refer to differences in gear size. A good way to look at it is the lower the first number, the slower the reel will pull in line.
Your most common sizes are 5,6, and 7. These are often compared to a ratio of 1. So they are advertised as 5.1:1 or 6.6:1 or 7.1:1…..ect
Ill use a 6.6:1 as an example. The 6.6 tells me how many times the spool revolves for 1 complete crank of the handle.
5’s are slow
6’s are mid-speed
7’s are burners

Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-01-17

The black Maxx is a good reel to start out with.  You will have less backlashes, it’s cheap enough that if baitcasters don’t work out for you, you can just throw it in the drink.  LOL   Twitch explained the gear ratios so to start out I would settle for a reel with a ratio in the 5’s which is slower.  I find it’s easier to reel faster then to reel slower when you need to slow down.  Hope that helps.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 20 March 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
shadmaster - 28 February 2012 09:02 PM

I am thinking about buying another baitcaster. This time I was thinking of going with Abu Garcia Black Maxx. One of the reasons is because it isn’t that much money, and I’ve actually heard good things about it. Any Suggestions? And also I am fairly new to baitcasting, and I dont really understand the gear ratios, and what they mean or are used for. Anyone that knows more then me (which is many) could you please fill me in on this?

Black Maxxes are good cheap reels.  I don’t like magnetic cast control myself and prefer centrifugal but it is still a good reel.  I’d recommend a reel with centrifugal brakes over magnetic.  You can cast further, if properly setup, with a centrifugal reel than a magnetic.  Magnetic cast control is really used to shorten casting distance.  Both systems have their pros and cons.  Magnetic is great for target casting while beating the bank as it allows you to shorten your cast to prevent overcasting.  It can also effectively turn wind “off” if that wind is to your back. 

As mentioned earlier, the gear ratios are about how much line the reel brings in per turn of the handle.  The larger the ratio, the greater the amount of line brought in per turn.  6.4.:1 or thereabouts is a good medium ratio to start with.

Posted: 20 March 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2012-03-19

Now can you explain bearings? The KVD PT is 7+1, and the Abu Garcia is 10+1. What does it all mean.

Posted: 20 March 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2009-03-16
Skeeter1 - 20 March 2012 01:49 PM

Now can you explain bearings? The KVD PT is 7+1, and the Abu Garcia is 10+1. What does it all mean.

honestly the number is not as important as the quality…It has become a marketing tool but it is not a good indicator for quality

Posted: 20 March 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Typically the number of bearings are used to determine how smooth the reel will be. Most reels available now are going to offer 7-10 bearings depending on make/model. Usually more bearings means longevity also as long as the reel is properly maintained.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
Skeeter1 - 20 March 2012 01:49 PM

It’s a bit of gimick honestly.  The quality of the bearing is what matters most.  There are reels with 5 bearings that worlds smoother than reels with 11.  Cheap reels have cheap bearings.  Some cheap bearings are better than other bearings but the number isn’t really important.  When examining a cheap reel I look at the bearings to see if the bearing shields are removable.  If the bearing has a C-clip to hold the shield in place as opposed to a press fitted shield then this is an indication of a higher quality cheap bearing.  If I’m entertaining the idea of a buying a cheap reel I want one with the best bearings my money will buy, even if that money is only 60 bucks.  I looked at Black Maxx the other day and it does have removable shields.

High quality bearings also allow your reel to fish like new for much longer than one with cheap bearings.

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4160
Joined  2011-02-28
shadmaster - 28 February 2012 09:02 PM

I’d go to FFO, (Fisherman’s Factory Outlet), and get a reconditioned Silver Max for $45 dollars including shipping. Silver Max is a little bit better quality than the Black Max.  then if baitcasters aren’t your cup of tea, then you can pitch it or give it away or sell it.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2012-03-19

I looked at the FFO site and all they had were Abu Garcia’s. I wish they had more brands.

Posted: 21 March 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Skeeter1 - 21 March 2012 09:10 AM

I looked at the FFO site and all they had were Abu Garcia’s. I wish they had more brands.

That’s who makes the Black Max the guy was asking about.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Shad
Rank
Joined  2012-03-19

I know thats who makes the black maxx, i was just saying i wish they had more to choose from.

Posted: 22 March 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
Skeeter1 - 21 March 2012 03:54 PM

I know thats who makes the black maxx, i was just saying i wish they had more to choose from.

So do i but not likely going to see much else. I’d like to see some Daiwas.  Any higher end reels get snapped up so quick it’s difficult to find on that site. they did have some Revos’ on a few weeks ago. don’t know if they are still there or not. i check back every so often. i have bought about 10 reels from there and so far so good with the quality, saved a lot of money.

Signature