1 2 > 
1 of 2
Abu silver max combo vs bass pro tourney special combo
Posted: 10 March 2012 08:00 AM
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-02-26

I’m buying a new baitcaster combo. Whats better bass tourney special or Abu Garcia silver max ?

Posted: 12 March 2012 02:37 AM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14
Akalogianis - 10 March 2012 08:00 AM

I’m buying a new baitcaster combo. Whats better bass tourney special or Abu Garcia silver max ?

The tourney special is a pretty awful reel.  The rod is good for the money but reel is just bad.  I bought a tourney special LTD combo for $50 on clearance a few years ago.  That reel is made from the cheapest of the cheap components.  I’d recommend pairing a reel of your choice to a rod of your choice instead of a combo.  I also recommend getting a reel with centrifugal brakes over one with magnetic.  A Pfluger Templar reel and a lightning rod or BPS tourney rod would be a better budget choice IMO.

Posted: 12 March 2012 04:33 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2009-01-14

I have a bunch of silver max’s I buy them off of Fisherman factory outlet pretty cheap. No issues Love’em Im pretty rough with my gear lots of use. when I burn one out I bag the old one and use for spare parts and buy another. For the price you cant go wrong.

Signature 

KNUCK KNUCK KNUCK

Posted: 05 April 2012 11:01 AM   [ # 3 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-02-26

Lol my friend ended up getting the pro max but whatever it worked out for him lol

Posted: 05 April 2012 01:37 PM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1062
Joined  2010-07-26

I prefer Abu Garcia gear so if I had to choose, it would of course be the Abu Garcia combo.  But just realize that you are getting the lower end of the products offered.  These items won’t be as smooth, consistent or reliable.  There’s an old saying that is very true in most things in life - “you get what you pay for”.  There are reasons that certain items are very inexpensive and there are reasons why certain items cost a little more money.  The quality and the parts that go into the more expensive units make them very worth while.  Just some food for thought.  It will be better in the long run if you can shell out a few more dollars to get a better quality product.  Less headache, better and more consistant performance, and it will usually last longer if you take care of it.

Posted: 05 April 2012 01:52 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1051
Joined  2009-04-29

I used to have a black maxx but it crapped out on me. I had a good 6 months of use and it just died. this was years ago as well. dunno how the new ones hold up. but as DDaniel said, you get what you pay for. Also of reel manufactures have good prices on “premuim-ish” reel, shimano has the Caius, which is a orange caenan. Ive used them and they are awesome for the money. The Caenan is also great, the Revo S is decent, quantum has the new kinetic for 100 bones and BPS has that johnny morris carbon light reel for dirt cheap now.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:29 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

get a Pro Max combo. Silver Max ia serviceable reel but the promax is better if you want to stay in the MAX family, other wise get a BPS PQ.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 05:43 PM   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Silver max is a good reel if you fish off the bank. Not an expensive reel, so you can set it down in the rocks and not worry about scratching. A pretty basic reel as far as stripping and cleaning, so shouldnt have any problems there. IMO it is a good reel for what riverfish said, if you are hard on you equipment. You will get a year or two of hard fishing out of them then they will crap out.

You have to make a choice, would you rather have an expensive reel that you want to take care of so it lasts a long time, or a $35 reel with good performance that you can beat the crap out of and just replace when it goes bad.

Here is the link to them at FFO- http://www.ffo-tackle.com/Detail.cfm?PassProdId=3495

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 06 April 2012 07:54 AM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i’ve been using the Silver Max’s i bought from FFO and they are ok reels, i have no complaints with them but they just don’t feel as good as my other reels with the DBS. guess i got spoiled a little. i think they will be fine with lighter baits as they seem to bog down a little with baits over 3/8 oz, but i am satisfied with them for the money i paid.

Signature 

Posted: 04 June 2012 01:06 AM   [ # 9 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-06-03

Gentelmen, Good Day to You.

Can someone tell me if there is a chart/List/Survey that tells you what makes a rod a :    Crankbait rod vs. Flipping Stick vs. Worm rod vs. Fast Tip vs. Heaver Action
I am a newcomer to the world of bass fishing. Is there something in black & white that I can refer back to?  Thanks so much for your input helping us get the knowlege to enjoy fishing as much as you.

Posted: 04 June 2012 01:34 AM   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
T5GRP0 - 04 June 2012 01:06 AM

Gentelmen, Good Day to You.

Can someone tell me if there is a chart/List/Survey that tells you what makes a rod a :    Crankbait rod vs. Flipping Stick vs. Worm rod vs. Fast Tip vs. Heaver Action
I am a newcomer to the world of bass fishing. Is there something in black & white that I can refer back to?  Thanks so much for your input helping us get the knowlege to enjoy fishing as much as you.

This article may be a little dated, but the basics are listed and its a good starting place for you.
http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/bass_fishing_rods.html

One thing I would like to add, as I just glanced at this, is a longer rod is usually the way to go for deep cranking. I see they have a 7 footer listed, but for deep running baits I wouldnt go any smaller then a 7’3M.

Signature 

Posted: 24 March 2013 10:09 AM   [ # 11 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2011-03-15

I’ve got two SilverMax combos.  One came with a Berkley Lightning Rod the other a SilverMax rod.  Of the two I like the Lightning Rod best.  The first SM rod broke on the first hookset and WallyWorld replaced it with another SM rod.  Eventually I’ll replace the rod with something more durable.  I like the SilverMax reels, not expensive but they work for me and my “fish on a budget” style of fishing.

Posted: 24 March 2013 11:38 AM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

i had 2 tourney Special rods and didn’t like them,gave them away. go with the Abu Garcia combo

Signature 

Posted: 24 March 2013 08:13 PM   [ # 13 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2008-03-06

I used to get combo’s but once I found I could get quality stuff for 200 bucks or less doing it myself that’s what I’ve done.  Get the rod that feels best to you for your budget and then get the reel you like.  You can get a Kinetic PT with a St. Croix Triumph for like 170 or if you want garcia you can get a revo s and vengence rod for 150-170 or you can get the skeet stuff for like 160

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:04 PM   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2009-03-16

I feel that anything less than a Revo is a waste…go with spinning gear if you want something cheap.  Baitcasters are kind of like tires for your car really cheap ones performs poorly and don’t last

Posted: 26 March 2013 06:39 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
combsdale - 26 March 2013 01:04 PM

I feel that anything less than a Revo is a waste…go with spinning gear if you want something cheap.  Baitcasters are kind of like tires for your car really cheap ones performs poorly and don’t last

X2, i prefer better reels over better rods, i feel i can get a good rod for 80 bucks or less, but a reel needs to be smooth and feel solid and casts good, cheaper reels just don’t cut it once you throw a quality reel.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ My new toy      7’ H Rod- suggestions? ››