1 of 2
Where are the fish?
Posted: 26 March 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1056
Joined  2010-07-26

I have a question for you guys, and girls.  I went fishing yesterday and didn’t do too well.  I got one lonely one pounder. 

Here were the conditions: Two days after one heck of a storm.  Clear blue bird skies.  Lake is full pool and dirty.  But Lake Jordan is usually dirty.  Visibility was less then 2 feet and water temp was 66 degrees.  Wind was out of the North, North East.  Wind was around 10 to 20 with some really strong sessions that created some serious white caps.  The day started in the high 60’s and got up into the low 80’s.

What I did: I fished main lake points, backs of coves, channels going from main lake back into the coves, creek mouths, open water humps and the steep ledges near the bank along the main lake edges.

What I used: Alabama Rig, Jerkbaits, Crankbaits, Shakey Heads, Jigs, and the Carolina Rig.

What I couldn’t do:  Find the fish.  I haven’t been on the water in almost two months and I couldn’t figure out where the fish were.  I tried every thing from a pre-spawn to post-spawn pattern and I couldn’t pattern them at all. 

Question is: With the information above, where in the world are the fish at, how would you fish this, and what would you use?

Posted: 26 March 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Post rain, windy, dirty water, warm temps and you didnt throw a spinnerbait? shame shame

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 26 March 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3414
Joined  2008-11-12

I would have gone to the common spawning grounds and see if you couldn’t find anything cruising the shallows or on beds. If they aren’t there then go to the nearest staging spot because you could get either pre or post spawn fish depending on if they have already spawned or not. I would be throwing jigs, spinnerbaits, cranks, t-rigged plastics, and a lightly weighted senko.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 27 March 2012 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Two days post front…............expect it to a grind. The water conditions sounded good to me. Fish should be in all three phases of the spawn. If you was to go out and do it again tomorrow, I would put the trolling on high and fish shallow flats with grass/gravel/wood. Id be throwing search baits like the 1.5, spinnerbait, buzzbait and lipless (assuming there is still wind). Id slow down and fish a jig or plastic only if I got bit on a search bait.

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4164
Joined  2011-02-28

wow, all that cover, where i fish it is still barren, like a frickin desert.

I’d definitely bump the stump, with a shallow crank and a spinnerbait and with those water temps, i wouldn’t be too suprised if i wouldn’t just throw a frog in the backs of some of those coves.

i probably wouldn’t throw anything until i started marking fish on your electronics. I know what it is, the fish knew you was coming and they all got really scared and hid. i get skunked all the time, but a lot of the reason is i want to catch the fish the way i want to catch them and not use what will catch them but i’m ok with that.

Hang in there Rammer, you’ll figure it out and fill up your wells full of hawgs. Be safe and have fun!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2012 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-01-17

Big storms mean trouble and although I’ve never fished Jordan I have fished big waters like it.  Generally fish in those big waters tend to hold near some type of cover.  White blade baits bumped into any structure you could find, wood, fallen trees, under willows etc.  Dirty water will allow the fish to be shallower than you may think.  There were times I caught fish so shallow that I wondered why I couldn’t see their dorsal fins sticking out of the water.  Maybe try the shallow shore lines with the deepest water near by.  That day it sounds like it all boiled down to color.  Personally I like orange crawdad traps in the spring.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 27 March 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27
twitch - 27 March 2012 04:25 AM

Two days post front…............expect it to a grind. The water conditions sounded good to me. Fish should be in all three phases of the spawn. If you was to go out and do it again tomorrow, I would put the trolling on high and fish shallow flats with grass/gravel/wood. Id be throwing search baits like the 1.5, spinnerbait, buzzbait and lipless (assuming there is still wind). Id slow down and fish a jig or plastic only if I got bit on a search bait.

x2

Posted: 27 March 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26
BBK - 26 March 2012 10:42 PM

Post rain, windy, dirty water, warm temps and you didnt throw a spinnerbait? shame shame

Wow, the one bait that I didn’t consider was the most obvious in this situation.  Your right, shame on me.  Why in the world didn’t I think of that?  Holy cow.  Thanks BBK.  I’m definitely going to put one on.

Posted: 27 March 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26

Using my HDS units, the only shad balls I could locate were all out in 20 to 25 foot of water.  I could see larger fish under and around them, but they ignored everything I threw at them.  I did try the typical spawning areas with no success and started thinking post-spawn so I worked my way out into deeper water.  That’s when I started noticing all the fish out in deep water.  The only fish I got was on the bank where it was really shallow and with a bunch of stick ups and it was on the main channel near really deep water.  After I got that one, I pounded that general area without any more bites.  I kind of figured that since it was two days after a really big storm and blue bird skies, it might be a little tough, but holy cow, it was terrible.  Most everyone else I talked to out there wasn’t having any luck either.  But I was just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on the stage of the spawn with those conditions.

Posted: 27 March 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26
CincySid - 27 March 2012 07:54 AM

wow, all that cover, where i fish it is still barren, like a frickin desert.

I’d definitely bump the stump, with a shallow crank and a spinnerbait and with those water temps, i wouldn’t be too suprised if i wouldn’t just throw a frog in the backs of some of those coves.

i probably wouldn’t throw anything until i started marking fish on your electronics. I know what it is, the fish knew you was coming and they all got really scared and hid. i get skunked all the time, but a lot of the reason is i want to catch the fish the way i want to catch them and not use what will catch them but i’m ok with that.

Hang in there Rammer, you’ll figure it out and fill up your wells full of hawgs. Be safe and have fun!!!!

I was bumping all the stumps and trees I could find.  I even got lucky and found some trees off of a main lake point.  The tops were in about 15 foot of water.  I could tell that there were fish just below the tops.  So I was ripping a 6XD and 5XD thru the tops of the trees trying to get them to bite.  I even used a jerkbait over them.  Still, nothing.

Posted: 27 March 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-04-06

Rule # 1….somedays you catch fish….somedays you drink beer !

Sounds like it was the latter. There are too many good days for fishing…so enjoy the beer day and don’t sweat it.

Signature 

“Is this Heaven ?....no it’s Minnesota.  That’s funny, I could have sworn it was Heaven”

Posted: 27 March 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

When you go back you should have a jigging spoon tied on. Go find those schools of baitfish, and drop that jigging spoon straight down under the HDS and watch it on the graph. If you get bit, then either keep doing the same, or back off and throw a deep crank or something. It is a pretty good bait in that situation as they drop like a rock and you can usually tell almost instantly if it is gamefish or not, just about every predatory fish will chase the spoon up. You could do the same with a blade bait (heddon sonar) or a heavy jig head and 3” swimbait.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 27 March 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2008-03-26
BORN2FISH001 - 27 March 2012 09:10 AM

x2

x1002, thats about as tough conditions you can get

Signature 

when in doubt swing it

Posted: 27 March 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2010-12-09
AAav8or - 27 March 2012 11:50 AM

Rule # 1….somedays you catch fish….somedays you drink beer !

Sounds like it was the latter. There are too many good days for fishing…so enjoy the beer day and don’t sweat it.

Best answer so far!!!

Signature 

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Posted: 27 March 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

Well you found the bait and found the fish but just weren’t having it.  Beer time.  Usually you get a few little ones post cold front but the sizable fish are pain in the arse for whatever reason.  A bit off topic but why is that?  Why do the little ones seem more active post cold front with the larger fish in negative feeding mood?  I’ve heard arguments about barometric pressure, but those never add up.  Did any followers revel their locations to you?  I’ve had mixed success culling fish with reaction baits observing the bait for any signs of flashes or fish trailing it, then going after those fish with senkos, tubes and other light wight or weightless plastics.

Posted: 27 March 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Because the little ones need more food to grow, just like teenagers-  they are always hungry. The big ones are holding eggs/milt and are just worried about breeding. Seems after spawning time and the post spawn blues, the big ones are less effected by cold fronts.

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Plastics      Live bait? ››