1 2 > 
1 of 2
Crankbait rods for spinnerbait
Posted: 01 April 2012 08:25 PM
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2012-04-01

Would like to get y’alls opinion on using a crankbait rod for spinnerbaits.  I just bought the kvd tour cranking rod in 7’4” for my cranks and gotta say that I couldn’t be more happy with it. I’ve got 2 of his graphite rods that I use for spinnerbaits and other lures. But was just wondering if I could use the crank rods for spinnerbaits. I guess just wanting to try different things to see how they work and just wanted opinions and pros and cons. Hanks

Posted: 01 April 2012 09:08 PM   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

I would never throw a spinnerbait on that rod. I have the same rod as you but in the older model and the tip is way to whippy . The only rod I throw spinnerbaits on any more are 7ft MH F action rods.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 01 April 2012 09:14 PM   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1062
Joined  2010-07-26

The biggest difference between a “crankbait” rod and a “spinnerbait” rod is how it loads up when you get a strike on the bait.  A crankbait has multiple treble hooks so it doesn’t require much of an effort on your behalf to get a good hook set where as a spinnerbait may require more on on effort on your behalf to set the hook once the fish bites.  So, with that said, a spinnerbait rod is usually a little stiffer than a crankbait rod so when you swing it to set the hook, you get a better response from the rod as it transfers that power to the bait.  Can a crankbait rod be used for spinnerbaits?  Yes.  But it wouldn’t be the most advantageous choice.  You may risk some solid hook sets because the soft action of the rod may not transfer enough power into the bait for a proper hook set.

Posted: 01 April 2012 10:32 PM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

I have a 7’ H glass cranking rod & it will work for spinnerbaits, but I don’t like it. The reason I don’t like it is the same reason I like it for cranks, it’s got a bit of a deader feel to it, so they tend to get the cranks better, but I don’t have a problem letting them eat a spinnerbait with my graphite spinnerbait rods. I was fishing spinnerbait today with my spinnerbait rod & I was getting bit constantly by guppies & I’d feel them swipe & nibble at them, but didn’t pull it away from them until they got it, I had a really hard time doing that with my glass cranking rod just because it doesn’t have as crisp of a feel as the graphite rod.

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2012 08:35 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

i like to throw a spinnerbait on a 7’ M medium tip rod, i get 20 more feet on my cast. 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and up i use a 7’ MH fast. i usually throw a 3/8 oz though. bigger spinnerbaits in the fall.

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2012 01:36 PM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2102
Joined  2008-04-08

I think DDaniel hit right on the head. What he is describing is the action of the rod - here’s a great article with uses for each:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/rod-actions-power.html

Can you use a slow/moderate rod for spinnerbaits - sure, but like I told a guy who was getting into fishing when he asked me why I have so many rods, I said you can use a butter knife as a screwdriver but there are tools out there made to do the job better.

Signature 

My wife is my favorite fishing partner.

Posted: 02 April 2012 01:45 PM   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27
Flymantex - 02 April 2012 01:36 PM

I told a guy who was getting into fishing when he asked me why I have so many rods, I said you can use a butter knife as a screwdriver but there are tools out there made to do the job better.

x2

Posted: 02 April 2012 11:53 PM   [ # 7 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2010-06-10
BORN2FISH001 - 02 April 2012 01:45 PM
Flymantex - 02 April 2012 01:36 PM

I told a guy who was getting into fishing when he asked me why I have so many rods, I said you can use a butter knife as a screwdriver but there are tools out there made to do the job better.

x2

x3

Signature 

1. WHEN IN DOUBT…EMPTY THE MAGAZINE!
2. HAPPINESS IS A WARM MACHINE GUN!

Posted: 03 April 2012 03:07 AM   [ # 8 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-03-05

My girlfriend asks the same thing, but when explained she understands now that each one has it’s use, hence she doesn’t care that I just bought 5 more veritas rods, a new revo sx, and a new stradi CI4…..awesome girlfriend huh?

Posted: 03 April 2012 12:56 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26
blazingmarine - 03 April 2012 03:07 AM

My girlfriend asks the same thing, but when explained she understands now that each one has it’s use, hence she doesn’t care that I just bought 5 more veritas rods, a new revo sx, and a new stradi CI4…..awesome girlfriend huh?

Dude, does she have any sisters?  Holly cow that is awesome!

Posted: 03 April 2012 11:52 PM   [ # 10 ]
Hawg
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-03-05

nope 3 brothers lol she is awesome though!

Posted: 04 April 2012 01:42 AM   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04

Personally I wouldnt go with anything less then a Medium action graphite…..and thats really pushing it for anything except 1/4oz or 3/16oz.

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2012 09:15 AM   [ # 12 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01

Well right now I am using a kvd tour 7’4” crankbait rod for cranking. And I am using a kvd tour 6’10” mh f graphite for up to 3/8 oz spinnerbait and the kvd tour 7’2” mh graphite for 1/2 oz and bigger spinnerbaits and other stuff. I figured it was a bad idea I was just wondering how it might would work. But with what I am using I think I will stay with the way things are set up now. Got three tour rods and they are paired with a 5.3 carbon black for cranking, a 6.4 kvd tour pt and a 6.6 exo. And they all work great for what lures and techniques I use them for. And I must say that the exo is my favorite reel and I will be getting more soon.

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:47 AM   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2007-03-04
Sccowboy - 04 April 2012 09:15 AM

Well right now I am using a kvd tour 7’4” crankbait rod for cranking. And I am using a kvd tour 6’10” mh f graphite for up to 3/8 oz spinnerbait and the kvd tour 7’2” mh graphite for 1/2 oz and bigger spinnerbaits and other stuff. I figured it was a bad idea I was just wondering how it might would work. But with what I am using I think I will stay with the way things are set up now. Got three tour rods and they are paired with a 5.3 carbon black for cranking, a 6.4 kvd tour pt and a 6.6 exo. And they all work great for what lures and techniques I use them for. And I must say that the exo is my favorite reel and I will be getting more soon.

Sounds like you have everything set up correctly for its intended use.
The EXO has been a good reel for me also. Ill be adding a couple more this year.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 10:06 AM   [ # 14 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01

Now if I can just get my accuracy right I will be good to go. I have used spinning gear for so long and in the last 6 months or so switched I’ve to all baitcasting stuff and still getting use to it. I have got the not backlashing thing down and very rarely backlash any more. And what has helped me any more than anything is that I have got a pond in my back yard so I can practice casting. I think one thing that hurts me on accuracy is that I get in to big a rush and don’t take my time and when I do that the rod probably doesn’t load up like it should but that’s why they call it practice I guess

Posted: 05 April 2012 01:50 PM   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-26

You mentioned a very key point in your previous post, “loading the rod”.  I personally feel that getting the rod to load up properly on the back swing is really key to have to good consistent casting technique.  If you watch KVD, he is probably one of the most extreme as far as getting a rod to load up during a cast.  He’ll have that rod bent in half when he’s bringing it forward. 

But another key part to accuracy is the release point.  Have you ever played baseball?  If so, do you remember having to learn where in your follow through that you had to release the ball to make it go where you wanted it to?  It’s the same thing in casting.  You need to realize where, when you are bringing the rod forward, that you need to release the spool to let the lure start taking off.  Just like in baseball, your follow through with your rod is just as important.  You want to make sure you rod it pointing at your target.  And lastly, you never want to take your eye off the target.  As soon as you start your back-cast, look at your target and never look away from it.  If you practice this and get everything working together, your accuracy will improve greatly and will in fact start to amaze you.  You’ll be putting lures in places that you never thought you would.  Eventually it will become second nature and you’ll be doing it without even thinking about it.

Good luck and have fun doing it.

1 2 > 
1 of 2