< 1 2
2 of 2
Crankbait rods for spinnerbait
Posted: 05 April 2012 07:46 PM   [ # 16 ]
Crappie
RankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2012-04-01

Yea I have noticed how kvd rods load up when he cast. I am always thinking that man I wish I could cast like that. He makes it look so easy. But I guess when you have been doing it as long as he has then it becomes second nature. And just like you said I have been practice every cast looking at my target and not taking my eye off the target and I have been getting better with my accuracy. I try to cast as much as I can as often as I can and being able to do that after work has helped me alot. I don’t reLly have problem with my roll cast it’s just my side arm cast and over head cast. But a positive attitude and practice and I will get better with ever cast. But thanks for the advice about the baseball trick. Never thought about that. I will have to remember that and try it tomorrow.

Posted: 06 April 2012 08:12 AM   [ # 17 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
DDaniel - 05 April 2012 01:50 PM

You mentioned a very key point in your previous post, “loading the rod”.  I personally feel that getting the rod to load up properly on the back swing is really key to have to good consistent casting technique.  If you watch KVD, he is probably one of the most extreme as far as getting a rod to load up during a cast.  He’ll have that rod bent in half when he’s bringing it forward. 

But another key part to accuracy is the release point.  Have you ever played baseball?  If so, do you remember having to learn where in your follow through that you had to release the ball to make it go where you wanted it to?  It’s the same thing in casting.  You need to realize where, when you are bringing the rod forward, that you need to release the spool to let the lure start taking off.  Just like in baseball, your follow through with your rod is just as important.  You want to make sure you rod it pointing at your target.  And lastly, you never want to take your eye off the target.  As soon as you start your back-cast, look at your target and never look away from it.  If you practice this and get everything working together, your accuracy will improve greatly and will in fact start to amaze you.  You’ll be putting lures in places that you never thought you would.  Eventually it will become second nature and you’ll be doing it without even thinking about it.

Good luck and have fun doing it.

How important is having your hand in the hand shaking position as opposed to palm down position during the cast?

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2012 11:41 AM   [ # 18 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1062
Joined  2010-07-26
CincySid - 06 April 2012 08:12 AM

You mentioned a very key point in your previous post, “loading the rod”.  I personally feel that getting the rod to load up properly on the back swing is really key to have to good consistent casting technique.  If you watch KVD, he is probably one of the most extreme as far as getting a rod to load up during a cast.  He’ll have that rod bent in half when he’s bringing it forward. 

But another key part to accuracy is the release point.  Have you ever played baseball?  If so, do you remember having to learn where in your follow through that you had to release the ball to make it go where you wanted it to?  It’s the same thing in casting.  You need to realize where, when you are bringing the rod forward, that you need to release the spool to let the lure start taking off.  Just like in baseball, your follow through with your rod is just as important.  You want to make sure you rod it pointing at your target.  And lastly, you never want to take your eye off the target.  As soon as you start your back-cast, look at your target and never look away from it.  If you practice this and get everything working together, your accuracy will improve greatly and will in fact start to amaze you.  You’ll be putting lures in places that you never thought you would.  Eventually it will become second nature and you’ll be doing it without even thinking about it.

How important is having your hand in the hand shaking position as opposed to palm down position during the cast?

Ok, you lost me on that one.  I’ve sat here for awhile trying to figure out if that was a legitimate question or one of your attempts at humor.  LOL!  You know how old men are at telling jokes.  LOL!  But thinking back on how I cast, it seems that it would be rather odd and uncomfortable to cast any rod with your palm facing down.  During an overhand cast, my palm is sideways, for a side arm or skipping cast my palm is up.  I can’t think of any situation where my palm would be actually facing down.

Posted: 13 September 2014 11:19 PM   [ # 19 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
DDaniel - 06 April 2012 11:41 AM
CincySid - 06 April 2012 08:12 AM

Ok, you lost me on that one.  I’ve sat here for awhile trying to figure out if that was a legitimate question or one of your attempts at humor.  LOL!  You know how old men are at telling jokes.  LOL!  But thinking back on how I cast, it seems that it would be rather odd and uncomfortable to cast any rod with your palm facing down.  During an overhand cast, my palm is sideways, for a side arm or skipping cast my palm is up.  I can’t think of any situation where my palm would be actually facing down.

yes, your palm is sideways in the hand shaking position if you dropped the reel and extended your fingers. I saw an article or video where Mark Menendez was saying to cast a bait caster the most efficiently you need to cast with the palm in the down position pointing to the ground. I am left-handed and cast with my left hand and reel with my right. Normally like you I cast with the spool pointing to the sky and the handle pointing to my right and my palm is sideways in the hand shaking position.

Menendez was saying if you turn your palm down so that for me the handle is pointing at the ground and the spool is sideways, you cast farther, are more accurate and less backlashes. I’ve tried it and I cast ok, but it feels weird and tires out my wrist, maybe over time when I strengthen my wrist, it won’t feel so weird. I heard another thing that because of the rotation of the earth the line comes off the spool better or something, don’t know about that. but I notice how people cast when I watch a video, some do have the handle down type of cast. just wondered how you felt about it.

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2014 04:55 PM   [ # 20 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2009-04-24

you guys are really over thinking it. just throw the bait out there and catch the damm fish. lol lol BH

Posted: 25 October 2014 06:31 AM   [ # 21 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

the only way I would use a true crankbait rod, (to me a crankbait rod is glass or glass/graphite composite), for spinnerbait fishing is if I could use braid, the braid would take away some of the disadvantage of the forgiveness of the crankbait rod for fishing a spinnerbait.

Lately I’ve been using a Quantum Tour KVD 7’2” MH XF rod for spinnerbaits 1/2 oz. and over, I can really stick the hookset with that rod. I got a bionic blade 7’ M fast for 3/8 oz. and under that works perfect for me.

Signature 

< 1 2
2 of 2