1 of 2
Back to winter patterns
Posted: 05 April 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

For about 3 weeks there I was catching the snot out of the bass fishing reaction baits. Giant inline spinners, cranks, spinnerbaits, about anything that moved fast and looked like food. Since then the water has dropped nearly 15º, and air temp is 20-30º below where it was then. It dawned on me this morning, I wonder if these darn things went back to winter patterns… sure enough they did.

Caught 8 largemouth, all over 15” with fat bellies fishing suspending deep diving jerks in 15’ of water. They wanted LONG pauses, literally a minute between jerks. None hit it on the jerk, all about 30 seconds to a minute into the pause the line would jump about 6”.

So weird, they went from late spring/pre spawn eat everything that moves to sit in the deep water and wait for food to come to them.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 06 April 2012 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4178
Joined  2011-02-28

went out the last couple of days and the ponds are dead, no weed growth, ENE winds at 25+ mph, just not a fun time. Definitely some tough fishing off the bank. no fish are shallow or on the banks.

so i just took advantage of this for some casting practice and tried out a bunch of rod, reel, line, bait combos and found out what worked and what did not, so in that respect it was a good day!

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Holy crap BBK! What’s the weather been like the past week on the other side then? Over here it has been in the upper-mid 60’s and only getting down to the mid 40s at night. I slayed them Wed. on an I-29 sandpit lake with a buzzbait, chatterbait, and jig. And the fish were up in the shallows too.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 06 April 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

that sucks! lately Ive had alot of luck the past two days finding murkier water and pitching smallll creature baits in like 3-4 FOW

Posted: 06 April 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

IDK the water temp out on me favorite pond, but I’ve been getting bites, not big ones though, shallow & only shallow with spinnerbaits & traps. I should go throw some of the jerkbaits I’ve picked up the last couple months out in the deeper spots, but you know how it is when you’re trying something new, you don’t have confidence in it till it works & I’ve not had any luck with the jerks I’ve thrown so far. I know I won’t have luck with them if I have to let them sit for 30 seconds, because that’s something I cannot & will not do.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Highs in 50’s lows in the 30’s. Low of 29 last night.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Posted: 06 April 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
BBK - 06 April 2012 05:17 PM

Highs in 50’s lows in the 30’s. Low of 29 last night.

yep same here with the winds out of the NE 10-20 mph.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Try a jerk cincy. Rapala X-rap deep in clown or the olive. Especially since you have no weeds yet, they will be suspended out deep I bet. You can cast those things a mile. I was using a 7’ M F rod with 50# power pro.. Be sure you watch the line, I couldnt feel any of my hits- I just saw the line jump.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
BBK - 06 April 2012 05:57 PM

Try a jerk cincy. Rapala X-rap deep in clown or the olive. Especially since you have no weeds yet, they will be suspended out deep I bet. You can cast those things a mile. I was using a 7’ M F rod with 50# power pro.. Be sure you watch the line, I couldnt feel any of my hits- I just saw the line jump.

I would love to but today i didn’t have them with me and the fish are 40-50 yards off the bank, i can’t cast the jerks that i have that far into the wind. i didn’t have any lipless with me either, i can only carry so much and i was planning on today just being a practice day with new baits and combos. Wasn’t expecting to catch anything, LOL

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

Those x-raps cast farther than any other jerks I have used. They have balls in them that go to the tail end of the bait on the cast, it makes them launch out like a catfish sinker.

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
BBK - 06 April 2012 06:47 PM

Those x-raps cast farther than any other jerks I have used. They have balls in them that go to the tail end of the bait on the cast, it makes them launch out like a catfish sinker.

guess i got to buy some then. what color for clear water?

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-27

In your situation, I would go for the Olive. It is a pearl bottom with an olive green top. It looks like a bluegill or bass to them.

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3416
Joined  2008-11-12

Well I just noticed that this upcoming monday that the low at night is suppsoed to be around 36 degrees but the day temp is supposed to stay the same. I’m thinking the bite might be just a tad bit tougher than what it has been the past 2 weeks.

Signature 

Does sleeping with the fishes equate to basstiality? LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 08 April 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28
LilJakeC - 07 April 2012 05:03 PM

Well I just noticed that this upcoming monday that the low at night is suppsoed to be around 36 degrees but the day temp is supposed to stay the same. I’m thinking the bite might be just a tad bit tougher than what it has been the past 2 weeks.

nothing on the beds yet so the water is pretty cold still, clear, cold nights is sucking the heat out of the water, need some cloud cover to keep the heat in.

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-28

was going to go tomorrow but the winds are supposed to be 25-35 mph. i may still give it a try. going to fish nothing but spinning tackle so i don’t have to worry about backlashes. problem is to get the wind at my back is not where the fish are. got nothing better to do but go to BPS. i did order some X-Raps, should get them next week sometime.

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1989
Joined  2009-02-17

Wind was ridiculous this weekend & sounds like it’s gonna continue for the next couple days, along with lows in the upper 20s here. I’m sure the bite will get a bit tougher when I can finally get out again.

Signature 

1 of 2