catching smallmouth on calm days
Posted: 22 July 2012 08:00 PM
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-22

I would like to know how to catch smallies when it is dead calm out on the lake I fish lake St.Clair most of the time when it is windy getting smallies to bite is not a problem but when faced with dead calm table top flat lake and throw in the sun it gets down right tough I have watched many weigh-ins online and see a lot of pros bring big bags of small mouth to the scales on the calm days ,So I know it can be done . So how do they do it ???????

Posted: 23 July 2012 06:30 AM   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2007-03-17

I know what you mean, the smallies get really tough on calm slick days on LSC.  What I found to work for me is to fish the lures more agressively,  with tubes I really snatch and jerk them off the bottom and thru the weeds some people call this technique cracking a tube.  I also fish jerk baits faster and watch your lure because you will get followers then you need to find what will trigger them into biting.  Crankbaits really grind them into the bottom and use a faster then normal retrieve speed.  Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Signature 

Eat Sleep and Fish Skeeter

Posted: 23 July 2012 06:32 AM   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-17

Oh and on your tubes use a heavier weight same with your dorpshot create a faster fall making the fish decide faster to eat or pass it up chances are they will eat it they just can’t pass up an easy meal.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2012 08:07 AM   [ # 3 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2012-01-17

I’m with Q-Man, you have to fish reaction baits.  Don’t give the fish the chance to see what plastic you are throwing.  If that isn’t working for you, try drop shotting real looking baits such as gulp leaches and minnows, but right now you will have to do that in 16+’ of water when it’s calm

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 23 July 2012 09:54 AM   [ # 4 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2009-09-27

when the wind doesnt blow here and its dead calm, I have just been putting the SM fairy wand down and running to shallower trees with a big stick to do some flippin. Ive got some nice SM lately just flippin woolyhawgtails and rodents. http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy184/BORN2FISH001/0714121507-1.jpg that fish was caught in 4’ of water when there was almost zero wind.

I like your ideas Q-man, I will have to give those a shot.

Posted: 23 July 2012 10:36 AM   [ # 5 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28

get you a 7.1:1 reel and burn your lipless and spinnerbaits, don’t let them get a good look at it.

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2012 03:23 PM   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-17

Also look for current either natural or man made,  fish the river channels up the St. Clair River or in the mouth where LSC flows into the Detroit River.  Also watch the barge traffic they create current, they pull water off areas then when they pass through the water rushes back in and they stir up the bottom of the shipping channel.

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:27 AM   [ # 7 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-07-08

Find current.  Even though there’s no wind, in that system there will be current somewhere.

Posted: 18 March 2013 10:28 AM   [ # 8 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-01-14

Doung Stange has some interesting techniques on how to catch these critters.  He seems to of the school of thought that smallies are curious and fast paced retrieve with a rod snapping cadence is what triggers these wish. I’ve seen him use spoons, lipless cranks heavily weighted tubes. 

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:19 PM   [ # 9 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2012-01-17

And to add to all of this, you need to make looooooooong casts.  Find a rod/reel setup that you can get that bait as far from the boat as possible.  You may loose more fish but you will also get more bites.  Allot of bites will come at the end of your cast with only a couple cranks of the reel.

Signature 

“May you catch all the fish you’ve told me about.”

Posted: 18 March 2013 09:13 PM   [ # 10 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2011-02-28
USMCGeoff - 18 March 2013 07:19 PM

And to add to all of this, you need to make looooooooong casts.  Find a rod/reel setup that you can get that bait as far from the boat as possible.  You may loose more fish but you will also get more bites.  Allot of bites will come at the end of your cast with only a couple cranks of the reel.

X2

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:45 AM   [ # 11 ]
Shad
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-03-14

I have also noticed with my underwater camera in these conditions that the fish will suspend and roam alout more all the above post hit it right on what to do.

Posted: 21 March 2013 08:21 PM   [ # 12 ]
Bass Master
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7262
Joined  2008-03-27

Havent fished St. clair, but I have fished a lot of calm clear water smallies. My trick is to go natural and light weight. The splash of the bait can be seen for YARDS. Baits I like to use are small natural colored (green pumpkin, watermelon, black) creature baits and finesse worms, and small tight wobble crankbaits in natural perch and sunfish colors. Tubes are another great choice.

Signature 

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

‹‹ I HAVE A DREM      Color recommendations? ››